This Wednesday (tax day!) at 5:30 is the Bike Rodeo. This is a family event, so please bring a bike for you and your scout. Siblings are welcome. If your scout doesn't have a bike or doesn't know how to ride let me know - we'll try to include them in the events.
I'm going to need a few volunteers to help run stations at the event. I'll have all the materials ready, you just need to show up and help manage the chaos. Let me know if you see a station you'd be willing to run.
Here are the stations that we'll be running:
- Bike checkin - safety check of bikes. Webelos I scouts will be in charge of pumping up tires and lubricating chains to show off their Handyman skills.
- Bike safety - rules of the road. Give the boys a 3-5 minute safety talk.
- Simulated road course - We'll have street signs and cones set up.
- Slow race - see who can ride the slowest to the finish line.
- Pebble drop - Ride one handed and drop pebbles into buckets.
- Look back - Boy rides and looks over his shoulder to see if there is a car behind him or not (parent holding a sign).
- Family bike ride - Scouts and parents take a loop of Tam O Shanter. There's a big hill at the North end of the loop, so this ride is skill dependent.
Each of these drills teaches an important skill for cycling. At the end of this event boys will have earned their bicycling belt loop which we'll award at the end of the meeting.
We also have some pretty important rank advancement awards to hand out. We'll try to get those done early in the meeting so the boys can be properly recognized.
P.S. For anyone that showed up last Wednesday for the meeting, I apologize. There was a published calendar with the incorrect date. All dates on www.pack665.org are correct and kept up to date. If you have a question about dates/times of Pack events please refer to www.pack665.org